So, recently, I have been nominated as an honorary sister of the Sisterhood of the World Blogging Award. I would like to thank Betty at the Betty has a Panda blog for this nomination. I would not in a million years to have even thought of receiving this award for I assume this award is exclusively for women bloggers. But, hey, it’s 2015 and we are aspiring to achieve gender equality.
So without further ado, here are my answers to Betty’s questions
1.Why do you blog?
Well, I want to share some awesome adventures with my family and friends. Originally, I wanted to write a few years ago but I only got round doing it a few months ago and it has been fun.
2. What is your favorite post from your blog and why?
It’s really hard to pinpoint just one favourite post and I’m tossing up between the following two posts
- Coasteering at Sai Kung – A day of “hardcoreness”
- Coasteering, Bouldering, Sea Cave & Bushwhacking – A Misadventure at Lobster Bay
I love both posts because of the awesome memory that I had about the trips. The first one was my first ever coasteer for which my friend told me there was only one mandatory swim and it would be a short one. It turned out to be many mandatory swims between islands and the “mandatory swim” was almost 1km in length. I was shattered afterward but nevertheless I was high on adrenaline.
The second one involved exploring sea caves and we attempted to swim through it when the tide of super rough. I don’t think any us made it across. But, that was a laugh!
3. What are your favorite topics to write about?
Adventures and all the ‘crazy’ stuff my wife and I get up to! For this reason, this blog is called the Globe Trotting Adventurer.
4. What inspires you to write your blog posts?
Things that I experienced including all the adventures, cultural events and holiday. These are the things that inspire me to write my posts.
5. What is your favorite animal and why?
Horses (there is no doubt about it). In fact, Hayley taught me how to ride her horses and look after them nicely. Even though, I still can’t ride properly, every time I get on a horse, it feels like I’m going 100 miles per hour.
6. What is the craziest thing ever happened to you?
Jumping off cliffs, scaling up waterfalls, doing an open water swim in full hiking gear sound crazy to most people.
But to me, the craziest thing was to meet people who love to travel and who are passionate about challenges like these. I love the fact that we constantly challenge each other to push the boundaries and experience different things in life.
7. What is your favorite childhood memory?
There are many awesome memories from my childhood, but if you ask me, I would say going to China for family holiday. Back in the days when I was a kid, the country was very under developed and to many extend very different from what I was used to. Just by crossing the border, one entered into a mysterious world of communism, where you would see the communist propaganda slogans everywhere; border guards wearing Russian bear hat, trench coat and flip flops. [Yes, this was at the land border by Hong Kong and ‘winter’ can be as hot as 20 degree]
Other things I saw were people were selling dogs and cats at the butchers, which probably scarred my childhood! Crazy beggars chasing us down the road because we didn’t give them money etc.
So, what an excited childhood! And it was definitely an eye opener to me!
8. What do you like to spend your free time with?
Aside to blogging, I love to spend my time with my wife. We love travelling together and explore the world and of course the countryside. We love camping, hiking and stream trekking. We recently got into sea kayaking and myself got into coasteering with friends.
9. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I don’t really know. Five years ago, I wouldn’t though of being in Hong Kong for so long… We might end up staying in Hong Kong or somewhere else in the world. I guess we will see what life throw at us.
10. If you could meet other bloggers you like in person, what would you talk with them about?
I would love to meet Betty from Betty had a Panda, as well as my nominees of this award because they are awesome in inspiring. I would love to speak to them about all the adventures, things that they have done etc.
My nominations and my favourite post at their blogs are:
1. Lina (and Sing) at My Hong Kong Husband – 長洲四處跑 – why you should visit Cheung Chau island and a new video. This post capture the best of Hong Kong and I love the video that goes with it too.
My questions to the nominees are:
- Why do you blog?
- What are your inspiration when it come to blogging?
- Everyone has a own favourite post that they have written, what’s yours and why?
- What are your greatest challenges in blogging? Do you have any advice to fellow blogger?
- What do you do in your free time aside of work and blogging?
- What’s your greatest adventure in life so far and why?
- What will be the next adventure?
- What drives you to do all these adventures that you are doing?
- Where do you see in yourselves in five years
- If you can meet other blogger in person, who would that be and why?
I know you guys have a busy life, so answering these questions are completely voluntary.